Megan Negendank, LMFT
Therapist & Founder of Love Heal Grow Counseling
I’m a licensed psychotherapist and couples counselor and I’d be honored to support you! I know that looking for a therapist can feel overwhelming–I also know that when you are working with a therapist with whom you feel connected, you are most likely to have a successful experience.
Here are 5 things about me so that you can get to know me a little better:
1. While I have been interested in relationships for as long as I can remember, my life changed when I studied adult relationship attachment styles at UC Santa Barbara. Suddenly, the relationship struggles I was experiencing and noticing in my peers’ lives made sense! I began having healthier relationships of my own–and I became inspired to become a marriage & family therapist.
2. I believe the relationship models we had growing up and our own experiences with family and past relationships impact our ability to connect with our partners. Sometimes our models were unhealthy so we didn’t learn healthy ways to communicate. Or sometimes we have been hurt badly by someone we loved—so it is hard to trust our current partner. Therapy can help us understand and heal from the past so that we can have better relationships in the present.
3. I believe in the healing power of relationships. We are hurt in relationships and we heal in relationships. I grew up in a big family with three little sisters. I’m now a parent and building a family of my own with my husband, who has been my partner for over a decade. Relationships can be hard–but creating secure, loving relationships is so worth it.
4. I work HARD to prioritize my own relationship. I get the demands that modern couples face—balancing careers, family time, parenting challenges, social lives, home responsibilities—the list goes on! It’s hard to stay connected to our partner in the midst of our busy lives, but it’s a daily choice to prioritize each other and I do believe it is possible.
5. I’m a survivor. While I don’t get into the details, I believe my experiences have given me a gift of empathy and understanding for others. I have worked for years on my own healing and I believe this has made me a better therapist. My clients tell me I am calm, non-judgmental and accepting. Knowing how meaningful it can be to find a genuinely understanding person, this is the best compliment I can receive!
…and just for fun: I’m a book worm, music lover, adventurer, creative, and I have a huge heart for my puppy dog, Zooey.
Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, #93259: Licensed to practice psychotherapy in California
M.S., Counseling, Marriage & Family Therapy: California State University, Sacramento
B.A., Psychology with Minors in English & Anthropology: University of California, Santa Barbara
Certifications & Advanced Trainings
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) Externship & Core Skills, Advanced Trainings
Gottman Method Couples Therapy Levels I & II
Sex Therapy Certificate Program Intensive program meeting AASECT’s training requirements for sex therapist certification
Mastering the Mysteries of Love Certified Program Leader
Grief and End of Life Counseling, Hospice Training & Certificate
EMDR Therapy EMDRIA Approved Basic & Advanced Training, Working towards Certification
Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Peer Counselor Training
I attend on-going trainings and workshops related to relationships, mindfulness & trauma.
Contact me to begin improving your life and relationships.